- Area: Honiara
- Primary Phone Number: (+677) 20308
- Phone Number: (+677) 31111
- Email: email@example.com
- Listed: August 1, 2016 10:57 am
- Expires: 341 days, 14 hours
COGENT (Coconut Genetic Resources for livelihoods)
The International Coconut Genetic Resources Network aims to promote collaboration for the conservation and use of coconut genetic resources. COGENT’s goal is to improve coconut production on a sustainable basis and to increase incomes in developing countries through improved cultivation of the coconut and efficient utilization of its products.
COGENT aims to develop and implement an international mechanism to coordinate research activities of national, regional and global significance, particularly in germplasm exploration, collecting, conservation and enhancement. It also aims to establish a basis for collaboration on the broader aspects of coconut research and development.
The Network will function at the national, regional and global levels to strengthen the capacity of national programmes to conserve and utilize coconut genetic resources.
More specifically COGENT:
- Establishes and maintains an international database on existing and future collections;
- Encourages the protection and use of existing germplasm collections;
- Identifies and secures additional threatened diversity by developing and adopting suitable technologies and conservation strategies;
- Promotes greater collaboration among research groups in producer countries and advanced technology sources in the exchange of germplasm and the development of new techniques; and
- Conducts appropriate training, information dissemination and secure necessary funding for network activities.